google-site-verification: googlecb1891cde3fb0314.html Google+ memekeeley: The comfort zone isn't so comfy anymore...

Wednesday 1 July 2015

The comfort zone isn't so comfy anymore...

Today I want to talk about something I have struggled with my whole life - the comfort zone. Where is this zone? Why is it so comfy, and why should I leave?!



Definition of the comfort zone is:

A situation where one feels safe or at ease, ”the trip is an attempt to take the students out of their comfort zone”

Or

A settled method of working that requires little effort and yields only barely acceptable results. "if you stay within your comfort zone you will never improve”

That last definition really touches a nerve, “If you stay within your comfort zone you will never improve”. I am the queen of staying in comfort zones. From wearing leggings all year round, including a heat wave, to never ever ever showing my bare shoulders to the world. My comfort zone is fully covering my body, because I have some serious body holdups. 

The main holdup that has literally ‘held up’ my life, is my legs. I am short, everyone knows that, and my legs are kinda muscly, and when they’re out I feel like it kinda makes me look shorter? I wear all black on the bottom because in my head, it makes me look taller, and so less people will make crass comments about my height. And when people do comment, it kills me. I try all day to forget about my one big insecurity, and then some dumbo walks up and points it out in my face. 

So, my comfort zone is all black, camouflage on my legs so no one can ‘see’ I am small. But the funny thing is, regardless of my fabric camouflage, people still comment. Still make comments that make me feel like the elephant in the room. So I got to thinking, if people are still commenting, and I am making myself incredibly uncomfortable, then what is the point? What is the point in holding back my life regardless of if i try to hide or not? So that is when I decided to make a change.

I started small, trying to wear flatter shoes, instead of wedged shoes. My hips have been playing up, so I was also risking my comfort and health for this stupid camouflage! 

Whilst I was away, I pushed myself big time when it comes to my customer zone, I wore shorts! Above the knee and everything. 

This was a big turning point in my life, because I made a conscious decision to push myself further than ever before. By doing this on holiday I had no choice but to wear them, because that was all I brought! I couldn’t turn back!

This was the only shorts pic I could find! My baby loves me haha!

And when I tell you, I grew so much just by putting myself in that position, it is a lesson that has helped be catapult myself from the shadows and into the sunshine, literally! Legs out and everything!

This post is just a little something to give anyone who needs a little push that vote of confidence! Trust me I know what it is like, and I can actually say that it will change. I can’t believe I just typed that, but I did! 

Here are my pointers that have helped me push myself out of the comfort zone:

  1. Understand the truth about your habits, and why you have adopted them. 
  2. Take some time out and have a detailed look at yourself—with no holds barred. Discovering your unconscious habits can be tough. 
  3. Be who you are. It’s easy to assume that you always have to fit in to get on in the world; that you must conform to be liked and respected by others or face exclusion. Because most people want to please, they try to become what they believe others expect, even if it means forcing themselves to be the kind of person they aren’t, deep down.
  4. You need to start by putting yourself first. You’re unique. 
  5. Slow down and let go, take your time if you need to, but just know that every little step takes.
I think what I am trying to say with this is that like all my other posts, whatever life throws at you, you are never the one out of control. You have to power to turn your whole life around, you are the only one who can do it.

I love you! And trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

Kisses to you all!! Good luck on your journey of self discovery!!!


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment